View Single Post
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
The more I think about it, the more I realise there is a lot of cool ideas and flow on effects from what Solu are trying to do. But I almost wonder whether they're trying to do too much in one step.

- It's Spotify/Netflix/Dropbox for Apps
- It's a social/collaborative computing platform
- It's a portable trackpad computer

Is that too much for Joe Public to take in all in one go? All of these ideas have merit, but tying them all together makes it harder to convince people to join in, and it also means the failure of one idea takes down the others.
Yes, it is a big chunk, but there is also a logic to it :-) The Spotify model for apps is directly related to collaboration. We wanted an environment where people can share freely and work together, without consideration for installing and managing applications, and payments is a big part of that. If users would, in this kind of environment, have to worry about in-app purchases and credit cards, it would hinder collaboration.

Also a great consequence of this approach is that even opensource developers get paid.

The hardware we wanted to do because there have basically been no successful OS companies, ever, that weren't somehow bundled into hardware. Also, we just simply felt that mobile platforms, MiniPCs and similar are currently really limited in their scope, due to the lack of a proper cloud service to extend them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Setok For This Useful Post: