View Single Post
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
For convenience...

15:04 <sn0wmonster> Hi everyone, sorry for the prolonged wait on the news. Some of you may have heard that there was a series of unfortunate events, but if not, I'll give some details here for clarity.
15:04 <sn0wmonster> Firstly, while metacollin had been officially added to the project and was making great strides in his duties, a loss in the family saw him taking personal time and the period of time in which he would be gone was unclear. He recently returned to let us know the situation and we're confident we can begin again directly.
15:06 <sn0wmonster> Secondly, our BDFL Joerg has also been suffering from health issues throughout the project's life as far as I can tell, and was in much need of some time to himself to avoid the situation getting any worse. I am sure he will be back soon after his short sabbatical. This is completely independent of metacollin's current leave of absence.
15:08 <sn0wmonster> Thirdly, my professional experiences are not in the hardware development industry, but rather in PR and business. To me, posting news on the public facing website that "there is nothing to report" is not the right way to run a project, and something unofficial (like this IRC statement) is sufficient to explain without plastering everyone's personal lives all over the internet for all eternity. Joerg and I disagree in this and he has been
15:08 <sn0wmonster> asking me nicely to post a new update regardess. My lack of interest in doing so is on me, not him. If you have any issues with the lack of news (Not progress), I am the one to blame.
15:10 <sn0wmonster> Now that all of that is out of the way, know that the next *planned* news posting was intended to be an explanation of metacollin's current workas well as the funding drive for the new developments, but as both of our key people are away at the moment, me posting a news article akin to a motivational poster of a kitten hanging on a tree entitled "Hang in there" is a bit disingenuous in my opinion and I'd rather keep this on IRC until we're
15:10 <sn0wmonster> ready to actually move forward at full speed.
15:12 <sn0wmonster> Lastly, my own personal life has become quite hectic as I have taken a job with PIA in a capacity of quality control and we're currently in a massive transition. This on top of my own FOSS project devotion has made posting news for Neo900 a "content or otherwise" proposition (that is to say, if there is no meat to cook, I am finding it increasingly difficult to go into the kitchen anymore).
15:14 <sn0wmonster> Neo900 is a project that I strongly believe in on principle, despite my criticisms of the price points, moderness of hardware, or constant uphill battle any hardware project has, unless I'm booted or asked to step down, I'll continue supporting Joerg and Neo900 in any way I can. I appreciate the patience from everyone and I know we're all here for the same reason -- with or without neo900, we demand control of our own privacy and hardware.
15:15 <sn0wmonster> If anyone has a special request or wants to discuss this, openly, in this channel is probably the best way to do it. Other than that, I will post a news article when metacollin returns to full capacity as until then, there is nothing much to talk about as no ones intentions have changed in the slighest.
15:17 <atk> sn0wmonster: do you take donations?
15:17 <atk> To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with posting a short statement (like the above) to the website.
15:18 <sn0wmonster> atk, could you clarify the question? Do you mean does Neo900 take donations? or am I the one handlign donations?
15:18 <atk> no, do you take personal donations
15:18 <sn0wmonster> atk, to me, I see something wrong with posting it because it's not news. It's posting about a lack of news.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post: