View Single Post
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2017 @ Germany
Hi everyone, sorry for the silence. I was working on the next release. It is essentially ready but we have to wait a little longer for the release of Rockpool. We need this for the Pebble integration into Laufhelden. Abranson is currently trying to fix a bug, I hope it won't take too long.

While waiting for Rockpool, I started to look around for a better map plugin. I did this mainly because of two things. First, I want to avoid the annyoing vertical lines bug. Secondly I would like to have access to OSM Scout Server for offline maps.
It seems that there are two possible candidates. The first one is PinchMap QML component. This comes from the app FourSail. I modified it and it's working quite good now. Although it's not ready and I have to add tracklines to it.
Second candidate is the MapBox component of rinigus. This one is very different as it uses vector tiles. It's got a very nice look&feel and allows for linear zoom.
Both solutions should solve the vertical trackline problem and allow for offline maps via OSM Scout server. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Problem is, I don't know which one to prefer. Maybe you (the users of Laufhelden) could give me a little advise on what map component to use.
Here are the advantages of PinchMap:
- using the already downloaded map tiles of the old map component is possible

Advantages of MapBox:
- really smooth operation as it's OpenGL accelerated, feels very mature (try Poor Maps GL)
- many functions like tracklines and POI's already implemented and ready to use
- nice map styles choosable

Disadvantages of MapBox:
- does not work on Jolla 1 and maybe other phones. It seems to need quite decend hardware, like enogh GPU memory.
- users have to create their own account on MapBox if they want to use online maps (free account max. 50000 tiles downloadable)
- users have to manually install MapBox bindings from Openrepos to their phone
- OSM Scout Server needs vector tiles for MapBox. If you want to keep your classic tiles, this needs much additional space on your SD card

Sorry for too many text. So what is your opinion about that?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jdrescher For This Useful Post: