View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Bitching about fragmentation is not a creative answer for anything.
No, it isn't. Neither is bitching about the lack of Linux-compatible hardware, to get back to this thread's topic. But maybe identifying the major cause for such a lack is the first step to doing something about it.

I maintain that that cause is the small user base. With not enough potential users, no sane manufacturer will consider making it. By 'it' I mean not only the final product but also the components, down to the chips. It is tempting to come up with conspiacy theories to explain the lack of Linux drivers for modems, video cards etc, but the simple truth is that it is all down to nothing more than economy. Why should e.g. Qualcom bother with Linux drivers for maybe as many as 10k users, instead of focusing on the 500M using Windows?

The only way to make the Qualcoms of this world produce Linux-compatible hardware is by turning Linux into a major buying force. Which means making Linux attractive to the likes of my sister. Forcing her to type pkcon and check the systemd logs three times a day is not the way to make that happen. Neither is confusing her with the multitude of forks of forks.

Last edited by pichlo; 2017-02-04 at 15:36. Reason: undo auto-correct

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: