View Single Post
Hi everyone,

Good day to you all. I have been struggling with an MMS problem on Sailfish OS using the T-Mobile USA network for a long time and really need some help. I was wondering if anyone could please offer me some advice on troubleshooting this problem? I would be very grateful if someone knowledgeable could help me. Here are the core details:
  • Sending or receiving MMS messages only succeeds intermittently
  • I have zero issues with phone, SMS, or 4G data. The issue is only MMS.
  • Sometimes it works on the first attempt, other times it can take
    many, many tries before it succeeds
  • This happens with my Intex Aqua Fish (2G) as well as Sony Xperia X running the community port (4G)
  • I took my Aqua Fish to Spain recently. T-Mobile has a roaming agreement there and it roamed on vodafone.es. Phone, SMS, and data was great BUT I had the exact same problem with MMS over there.
  • The exact same settings on an Android phone (indeed with the same Xperia X before flashing it) are successful on the first attempt
  • I tried the older legacy T-Mobile USA settings but have the same problem
  • Wifi disabled or enabled does not change anything.

I installed the MMS Logger app from the Jolla store. Here is a link with the output of a sample MMS send. This is a very good example because it failed for about 4 minutes and then suddenly succeeded. The whole time the phone was not moved and it had a strong signal:

https://pastebin.com/e4VgCCuG

The only outright error I could see is HTTP Status 2 -- which doesn't appear to be a valid status code! Since it also says "Cannot resolve hostname", I'm wondering if perhaps I could get around this by hard-coding an IP into the hosts file, though I don't know enough about this topic to know exactly what.

Code:
2017-10-05 15:27:58 [mms-transfer-list] Transfer /msg/1543/Send started
2017-10-05 15:27:58 [mms-task] Send[1543] NEED_CONNECTION -> TRANSMITTING
2017-10-05 15:27:58 [mms-ofono] Settings.Address: 100.225.88.199
2017-10-05 15:27:58 [mms-ofono] Settings.Netmask: 255.255.255.255
2017-10-05 15:27:58 [mms-ofono] Settings.Gateway: 100.225.88.200
2017-10-05 15:27:58 [mms-ofono] Settings.DomainNameServers: 10.177.0.34 10.177.0.210
2017-10-05 15:28:18 [mms-task-http] HTTP status 2 (Cannot resolve hostname)
2017-10-05 15:28:18 [mms-task] Send[1543] TRANSMITTING -> SLEEP
Usually I will see this section in the log just repeated endlessly until it times out, but sometimes it succeeds as in the example log posted.

I honestly have no idea how to go about troubleshooting this any further. I used to think my issue was that I had 2G only with the Aqua Fish, which is a very weak signal for me....but after seeing the same exact problem with a strong 4G signal on the Xperia X, I realized it is a deeper problem. I searched the forums and found several people complaining about this on the Nexus 5 but no solutions were posted.

I would be truly grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction. This MMS issue is a long-term headache and is the only thing interfering with an otherwise great Sailfish experience.

Thanks very much, in advance!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to paulwk For This Useful Post: