View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Regarding the screen resolution and pixel density...

My last long-term phone before my N900 was Treo 600. (I say long-term because I tried about three different phones that I did not like before I found the N900, none of them for longer than a few months.)

Treo 600 has a whopping 160x160 pixels, 2.5" square screen. And it was ABSOLUTELY BLOODY FANTASTIC! I cannot find the official spec but by my calculations, it works out at 90 pixels per inch. Yes, the pixels were clearly visible. No, you probably could not watch a video on it but it did not matter since the CPU was not up to the task anyway.

But the text was so fantastically readable! I only came to fully appreciate how good a low-res screen is when I switched to the N900 and suddenly I could not read my SMSes without modifying the style sheet and doubling the font size.

Which is to say, juiceme is absolutely right. A higher screen resolution does not have to mean smaller text and controls but it usually does. The temptation is too strong: we have all these pixels, it would be a shame not to use them. In the most crucial places that I use daily, such as SMS, where I have no alternative but to use the stock app that came with the device.

I have yet to see a counter argument. If anything, Jolla has made the text even less readable, with an even smaller font and an unfortunate choice of colours, only proving my point.

There is absolutely no reason for the pixel war other than to fool the gullible. If you can see a difference between 300 and 450 DPI then you must be a superman. The flip side, the tendency to use the same 12 pt font at a higher DPI, resulting in an unusable device, is just not worth it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: