View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Hi rinigus, How do I download larger areas? I had some older maps on my device and decided to download the new maps. But now I'm quite unsure. Before I had a package "Germany" that was nearly 7 GB. But now Germany is spitted up in different federal states and some of them are even splitted up further. All german maps together would be much more than 20 GB. And I would have to choose a lot of areas seperately. Is that by intend?
I have dropped full Germany and France imports. But *DON'T PANIC*, its still possible to download them and it shouldn't take much more space than before.

Germany and France resulted in huge Mapnik SQLite databases (4GB+) that, due to limitations of FAT FS on SDCards, resulted in periodic questions "why my Germany download doesn't work?". An additional bonus was that it reduced a time of imports by few hours, reduced HDD requirements of the servers as well.

For this convenience on my side, users that want full Germany and France have to get them by regions. So, in your case, you would have to select all subregions (except Berlin which is in some other region as well, if I understood correctly). For Bayern, for example, you could just choose it and there is no need to get all its subregions since they should be all included in it.

Now, the sizes displayed in the menus correspond to the case where it is assumed that you will download only that region. This is to prepare you for the worst-case scenario. Fortunately, the regions in Germany overlap and will share the same data - will be downloaded and stored only once. Let's go through main backends, so you'll get the idea:

* Address parser is given for full country. So, in case of Germany, its 200MB is accounted for in each of the regions

* Geocoder-NLP and OSM Scout are the only backends that don't overlap, but are cut by the border. [technically, there is a minimal overlap, but its not important]

* Mapbox GL and Valhalla are using tiles. If the tile is touching a region, its accounted for in it. Fortunately, tiles are downloaded and unpacked only once.

In your case, you would have to unsubscribe from Germany and subscribe to all its regions. For curiosity, would be good interesting to know current (old schema) and the new disk usage. Note that I pulled Valhalla tiles in somewhat bigger tiles, but I would expect it didn't change much Germany since Valhalla tiles over there were big already before.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: