View Single Post
Originally Posted by yorkey View Post
So, this is from an iPhone powermat. Dont those things need their data lines at certain voltages to charge properly?
If thats the true for the powermat charger, there must be something on the receiver or maybe the back that does the shorting. Any chance of reusing it?
Well, dunno about the iphone.
But there is the flat ribbon connector on the powermat receiver which connects to quite some pins of the iphone connector. From what I saw some of these are USB data lines indeed. Though, I have no clue what is happening on that lines. Furthermore, I am not that good in SMD soldering. Another chance to get this done could be to mess with the flat ribbon cable directly. Though, these things are pretty sensitive as well. Anyhow, my version is just a pretty crude, "hacked" together proof of concept. Maybe in some time there will be a better solution.

Edit: the iphone 3G Powermat receiver also has loop-through functionality for USB. So it "should" be possible to use this too instead of using a custom diode and a dip switch like I did.

Originally Posted by jd4200
Would like to try this, but I'm going though airport security soon and I'm sure all them wires popping out might turn a few heads.
Heh, yeah, this is also one of my concerns. Well I think I'll have to reactivate an old phone to take with me on the travel. I don't like the idea of some airport security guy pulling apart my N900 and messing with the fragile cabling.

Edit2: or even being pointed at with guns or being thrown at the floor with a knee in my neck...

Last edited by Wonko; 2011-05-04 at 18:01.