View Single Post
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Along with accelerometer/gyro config values, I would add three more:
  • A time interval: i.e. 1 / Frames Per Second (FPS)
  • A min allowable movement per time interval
  • A max allowable movement per time interval
Using these values, combined with the deltas of both time and head tracking, you could smooth the movement, and you would also make the code immune to the GPU's speed.

Something like that. And maybe you could do a little better by using 2nd order variables like an acceleration delta (not to be confused with the accelerometer delta).
Yes, this would work. I would include interpolation (perhaps this is what you meant by 'smooth the movement') between frames and set a best-guess based on these accumulated values at some point beyond the rendered frame -- though close enough not to produce discernible lag or strange 'drifting'. I would definitely use the acceleration delta of many of these to help determine the best-guess. Linear interpolation would be acceptable due to the minuscule time-interval between guesses. I would also determine some sort of weighted average based on the differing values to best determine where the device is related to the head and tick at regular intervals.

I wonder what the power consumption would be for something like this. The camera would have to be running, but I suppose if the majority of tracking code were DSP, it could be done quite efficiently. My only concern would be the facial recognition.

I expect darker faces would also be more challenging due to the reduced contrast.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post: