View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I have been trying to boot a full debian system off the N900. After unsuccessfully trying to boot with multiboot and maemo kernel I decided to give uboot and 2.6.35 from shr a try. So:

1. I unpacked shr from here http://build.shr-project.org/shr-uns...ages/nokia900/ on my microsd

2. Got uboot from here and loaded it (didn't flash - because I have power46wl1 and the image there is normal maemo kerner - tried to combine power46wl with u-boot and failed)

3. Booted into shr, touchscreen and screen backlight worked fine, didn't try anything else.

4. Cleaned up the sd, unpacked the image found here and copied the boot folder from shr image.

5. booted ok into console, without backlight, I managed to read some errors (modules.dep not found etc) just as they passed by real quick

6. copied the /lib/modules/ folder over from shr and now those errors are gone, but still no backlight. When I try ifconfig wlan0 up the system responds with 'could not find firmware' but I checked and the firmwares from maemo are already in /lib/firmware on the sd

7. Installed lxde via chroot from maemo and booted again. Now I get into X but the device becomes non responsive. No touchscreen and surprisingly no keyboard. The cursor is a watch if I boot directly into lxde, while if I boot to the console, and startx the cursor is normal but still no response at all.

8. Tried the other kernel uImage-2.6.28.10power-omap1 in the shr image but this does not boot at all: after the 'loading kernel' label in uboot screen the device restarts and goes into the nokia logo.

I don't know what else to do, I am not very experienced with combining different things to make a linux distribution but I think I am near the solution. (we know that basic things work - touchscreen, wifi, keyboard, backlight) so there must be a way to make them work on debian. Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-06-25 at 18:59.