View Single Post
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
seems that there are android marketers lurking these forums, in a feeble attempt to kill maemo...but you didn't hear that from me.
I hope you're not referring to me -- who admittedly posts in this thread a lot.

Just to set the record straight once and for all:

I have zero affiliation with Samsung, have never knowingly met another Samsung staff member, nor have gotten even a single red cent from them. If they're a public company, I don't own any stock, and if they are not, it goes to show how little I actually know about the corporate structure. Worst of all? I don't own a Samsung mobile product (I do have a Sammy printer, though).

Truthfully, I would easily give Samsung heat if they released a crap product, or more accurately, a product that I thought was crap, and I would have no hesitation to recommend another product if I deemed it better -- or better suited for a particular target.

I will state that I am very pleased with what I'm seeing come out of Samsung these days. For tablets, phones, (and recently laptops), it just so happens that this company is considering the user experience to a high degree when preparing its products, and releasing high quality devices. More, it is being largely competitive with Apple who has held a monopoly on consistently quality industrial design and well-balanced products for over a decade now. Not all ideas are original, but they don't have to be, they just have to be pleasing to their target. What's not to be enamored with?

I *do* have something against Maemo. Ok, perhaps not the OS, which is quite adequate and shows promise, but the project that develops it. Sure the community is great, but it was given up for dead 3 times now, and it seems to be largely abandoned. Don't get me wrong, I'd probably still be using Maemo if things had gone differently, but alas, they hadn't. I'm very weary of Nokia these days, and they have dropped in ranking from #1 in my eyes, to a notch behind new market competitors. As open goes, give me Ubuntu on a mobile device and I'll gladly embrace it -- at least I have confidence that it will be supported for longer than 1 year before being scrapped.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post: