View Single Post
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I just got a chance to see the Atrix 4G laptop dock. What an attractive package! The laptop dock is so thin, that it looks like it would make a fantastic travel companion for some serious productivity.

Here's what I would do to improve it:
1) Make the experience far better, with a scaled up Android, rather than a separate 'gimped' shell. This would keep file management, app selection, speed, and system updates far easier. If users want firefox or other linux apps, why not use the NDK to port it to Android with a simple X client/wrapper?

2) Move the 'dock' from the back of the device to the trackpad region . The phone is essentially a large touch screen, so why not make it the touchpad of the device? In this way, the touchpad could display context specific functionality for certain apps -- the visual touchpad. Also, I'm afraid someone will steal my phone if its out of reach and run off with it.

3) Include a backlit keyboard. I mean, seriously, the dock is basically just a screen and a battery. This shouldn't be hard nor that expensive to implement.

4) Lower the price. Since the laptop dock is simple in terms of its components, the price should be far lower than it is. The price is ridiculous.

5) Expand the line to include a tablet dock. Why buy a separate phone/tablet when you can have both is a relatively small package? The key here is to make the dock attractive and sturdy.

It's a very attractive idea, though the implementation needs some work. I hope that this experiment is further explored, though I have a feeling it will not perform as expected and be dropped.

Here's a scathing review of the LapDock's functionality:
http://www.greatereader.org/?p=17222

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-03-21 at 22:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post: