View Single Post
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
You're assuming Nokia is actually giving up on contributing to MeeGo ARM. Keep in mind we're about ~15 people working on Nokia N900 hardware adaptation which includes maintaining MeeGo Core for ARM. Most of this is hardware adaptation, ARM porting we've done the hard parts for already.

Here's my own bet (before my contract may be brutally cut and all my analysis doesn't matter anyway):

If Nokia is still interested even in a 'learning' platform, they need a MeeGo base that they can take and adapt to new kinds of prototypes. This practically means having a X86 and ARM port kept alive. ARM isn't going away from device point of view any time soon.

The good news about the ARM port is that it's stable. It's actually quite good (on par with X86 port). Let me list the assets that actually exists that's being maintained:

* Toolchain (gcc, glibc, binutils) - practically == Linaro release 2010.09. We don't really need a toolchain team, just packagers.

* QEMU binary emulator for ARM. Work in this is common across many distributions including Ubuntu and openSUSE.

* OBS support is maintained by Linux Foundation and openSUSE

* Fixing package build failures (anyone can do that with half a brain)

* MIC2/image builder support for ARM (maintained by our team)

* QA on top of that, not very ARM specific as such.

Basically. MeeGo on ARM is likely to continue. And it's quite nice to build products with.
What about Nokia's proprietary UI thing for MeeGo? Did it ever exist? Did anyone see it?

What about the closed packages? Will they open it?

It would be good to see [a stable & usable] MeeGo running on N900 hardware atleast.

Stskeeps, I hope they keep you around. I know, it's the decision pending from the parent company (read: Microsoft) though.

Best Wishes... Cheers,