View Single Post
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
I was just thinking that if Nokia isn't doing work on it anymore, Intel probably isn't going to be maintaining it for the ARM architecture..
You're assuming Nokia is actually giving up on contributing to MeeGo ARM. Keep in mind we're about ~15 people working on Nokia N900 hardware adaptation which includes maintaining MeeGo Core for ARM. Most of this is hardware adaptation, ARM porting we've done the hard parts for already.

Here's my own bet (before my contract may be brutally cut and all my analysis doesn't matter anyway):

If Nokia is still interested even in a 'learning' platform, they need a MeeGo base that they can take and adapt to new kinds of prototypes. This practically means having a X86 and ARM port kept alive. ARM isn't going away from device point of view any time soon.

The good news about the ARM port is that it's stable. It's actually quite good (on par with X86 port). Let me list the assets that actually exists that's being maintained:

* Toolchain (gcc, glibc, binutils) - practically == Linaro release 2010.09. We don't really need a toolchain team, just packagers.

* QEMU binary emulator for ARM. Work in this is common across many distributions including Ubuntu and openSUSE.

* OBS support is maintained by Linux Foundation and openSUSE

* Fixing package build failures (anyone can do that with half a brain)

* MIC2/image builder support for ARM (maintained by our team)

* QA on top of that, not very ARM specific as such.

Basically. MeeGo on ARM is likely to continue. And it's quite nice to build products with.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: