View Single Post
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Already posted this on other forum, but I'll post it here too.. have been itching to get this off my chest.

I'm impressed if it works half as well as Myriad claims it does. To this date I haven't really seen solutions that transparently and flawlessly run applications from other OS's unless the applications themselves were originally written to be cross platform.

I can also find videos of Windows applications running just fine on Linux with Wine which doesn't mean they don't have to maintain a mile long compatibility list with a myriad (pun intended) of compatibility levels ranging from "hey, perfect" to "works if you tinker hard enough" to "can kind of use it if you're crazy enough" to "no go".

And to me personally seamless integration means a bit more than that I can launch it like a native application. It includes things like look and feel, hooks to platform specific services like unified accounts management etc., hooks to OEM specific stuff like Ovi Store or Maps etc. and stuff like that.

I'm hoping we'd see the space evolving to a more integrated experiences like Maemo's unified messaging, MeeGo's unified account management, or application extensions/plugins, Nokia Social etc. IMHO there's so much unused potential in this area and I'd rather see that potential realized instead of just a flood of thousands and thousands of stand-alone applications I'm not likely to ever use.

That said, I'm not meaning to rain on anyones parade, I'm just advising caution with expectations wrt. Myriad. There's a lot between "all works great" and "it doesn't work at all".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post: