View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'd stick to improving existing OS packages, and let "useful" stuff stay in Extras. If the community wants to get involved in endorsing other nice things (like, oh, I dunno, fMMS or similar), that sounds like a separate project to me.
Agreed.

Ditto for FOSS replacements of closed Maemo apps.

Or, IOW, I wouldn't mind having the ability to, say, uninstall Modest (since I never use it), but I don't want that sort of silly side preference to hold up getting other bugfixes going quickly.
The reason I mentioned FOSS replacements is that they've currently got a hard-dependency into the image, making installation of replacements harder. However, it could well be the same solution for both of your requirements: I think the CSSU could ensure that nothing depends on modest or mediaplayer, allowing an Extras package in Section: user/multimedia to come in and replace it; or an advanced user to do apt-get remove modest etc.

For example, from mp-fremantle-generic-pr (the core SSU):

Code:
Depends: ..., mediaplayer (= 1.3-4+0m5), ...
Once the SSU is installed, having something which replaces all aspects of it becomes easier. A few random thoughts OTTOMH:
  1. Would the Open Media Player want to be installable alongside the original one?
  2. If it was designed to replace it, would the main package in Extras depend on community-ssu-enabler?
  3. Could it work that Open Media Player is installable alongside, but has a small sibling package - or menu option - to remove the original one and slide into its place: iff the CSSU is installed?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: