View Single Post
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
I recall reading somewhere that MeeGo was closely targeted to a small subset of ARM and Intel processors. The jist of it was that AMD processors were to be left out in the cold.

This story seems to indicate that AMD is going to roll up its sleeves and "come get some" MeeGo.

From the article:
"MeeGo represents an exciting, open-source mobile operating system we expect to be adopted by mobile and embedded device makers over time," said Ben Bar-Haim, corporate vice president, software development, AMD. "We are glad to provide engineering resources to joint industry efforts like MeeGo and expect that this operating system will help drive our embedded plans and create expanded market opportunities for our forthcoming Accelerated Processing Units."

"Built from the ground up for a whole new class of mobile computing devices, MeeGo gives companies like AMD and its partners unlimited opportunities to accelerate innovation for the next generation of computing," said Jim Zemlin, executive director at The Linux Foundation. "As an existing Linux Foundation member, AMD will be an important and valuable contributor to the MeeGo Project."

I've been using AMD processors in my desktops since 386/40Mhz days. So, I am glad to see them jumping on. The more the merrier. Having a second processor manufacturer providing expertise and assistance ought to make MeeGo a truly cross-platform OS in a big hurry.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post: