View Single Post
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
Hey guys,

The thread title is pretty much self explanatory.

A little intro to my intentions:

After seeing many other phones, including some Nokia phones, run some form of a BB messenger app, I've decided to either create something similar, or port one of these already existing applications to the Nokia n900.

The reason for this is simple, I love my Nokia n900, like the concept of the BBM and I hate blackberry's. I don't wish to switch my phone. I'm sure many of you can relate to this as well.

So I think having a sucessful BB Messenger app for the n900 would be highly in demand.

I also understand that there are alternative ways to chat rather than through BBM. I'm aware of these alternatives, but this thread is solely for the purpose of creating/porting a BBM app on the n900. Therefore please keep any such suggestions of alternatives to yourself, as I would like the thread to remain closely on topic.

Now down to Business:

I've never written an app for any phone before, let alone the n900. I have many years of programming experience but have never used QT SDK or Python before. But I am a very fast learner.

As I understand, there are very experienced n900 App developers in this community and I would like to ask for their help during the developement process of this app.

As mentioned above, I am a very fast learner, so if you could point me in the right direction and answer a few questions I would be very grateful and can get down to making a BBM app for the n900.

So:

1. What is the most preferred/reliable method used to making apps for the n900? What software/programs do I go about using? Please give solid examples and reasons as to why you are making these suggestions

2. Is there some sort of virtual n900 program? For example like the Windows Virtual PC that I use to run Windows XP Virtually on my PC. Is there some sort of program that can do this for the n900? So that I can have a virtual n900 or virtual Maemo OS running on my PC?

The reason I am asking for this, is because I would like to do my creating, testing, executing on the virtual n900/Maemo OS rather than my own phone, just incase I make mistakes and end up bricking my device.

3. There is a BBM app for the iPhone, one for Nokia Smartphones and one for Android. Of the three, which one would be more easiest to port to the n900? Which would have lesser complications etc.

4. Finally if any developers of n900 apps could assist me or guide me into how I go about doing this, it would make things go a lot smoother, I'm not sure if such an app has been attempted before, but I am really serious on getting this done. So will appreciate any feedback, input, tips and tricks that anyone has to offer.

Criticism is welcome, but please keep it constructive and explain your reasons, so to not derail this thread.

Thanks in advance

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Prozac786 For This Useful Post: