View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Camera software is a separate topic...

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Just a quick note that with alternative software, the N900 camera can take *much* better pictures than with the default camera app. I am very impressed with the shots taken by BlessN900 in dark places.
I see... I don't need photographing in dark places yet, and I don't like non-free applications (both default camera and BlessN900 seem to be non-free), but I see the point.

Who knows a camera application which would be:
1. open-source;
2. having automatic and manual modes;
3. having not less but more features than the default camera;
4. taking better (more realistic, naturally colored, less distorted) photographs under _any_ possible circumstances (close or far away object, bright sunlight or dark night, fast movements of objects) in automatic mode.

Video isn't necessary. Consequently taken (say, 1 fps) photographs are better, they can later be joined into a video, and each of them has better resolution than video frames.

Using accelerometer data/ GPS data (if you are moving fast, in a car/plane) / advanced algorithms could allow stitching photographs into large panoramas.

Consecutive photographs with different focus distance could be united into one photograph where everything is in focus (mostly suitable for non-changing landscape where you want to have both nearby tree and far-away mountain in focus).

I just will have to see what fcam-drivers and Fcamera look like, and take a look at Knips. What else would you recommend?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

About N8: does it support both portrait and landscape mode? does it understand when you keep it head over heels (normal position + 180 rotation)? How does virtual keyboard in portrait mode look and feel? Do you have/need handwriting recognition? Is camera application better/worse than on N900? Is photographs quality better/worse than you would expect from 12 MP? What are weak and strong points of N8 compared to N900?