Thread: Two Tablets
View Single Post
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
John, you overlooked the most important part: the disclaimer.
I assumed the disclaimer was standard a "this is a gossip collumn, like 90% of every other 'this is what new products are coming out' gossip/rumors collumns, and we're predicting product X" type statement.

Also, the writer makes it very clear he's alluding to the PHONE mockup that was recently demoed.
Actually, in items 1 and 2, he's very clearly talking about the next generation Internet Tablet, talking about the successor to the N800, comparing it to the N800, and calling it the N900. And, in #7 specifically says it'll be a maemo device. What other Nokia products are maemo based? :-} (honest and serious question: if there are others, I'd love to know ... if there's an actual phone based on maemo, I'd _LOVE_ to know that)

Though, which phone mockup are you talking about? The one that everyone said looked like a complete iphone clone? (don't recall the url for it)

There's a lot about the article to doubt though:

* in #6 he says "GSM, HSDPA" and "WiMAX" in the same offering ... which means it'd be the first device I know of that can be used with AT&T, T-Mobile, AND Sprint (as Sprint phones aren't usually compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile, due to the whole GSM vs CDMA2000 families). Seems to me that the coming Sprint-WiMAX device, if it had a phone radio in it, would be CDMA2000 and EVDO. Though, mixing GSM/EDGE/HSDPA and WiMAX in one device would make for tremendous vendor flexibility. I'll be pleasantly, but tremendously, surprised if that one comes true.

* in #5 he completely misses that you guys are working on a SIP client.

* in #3 he says Opera, but it sounds like Maemo is moving toward a firefox/mozilla ... I would hope that transition is done by this time next year.

* in #2 he talks about shrinking the screen size. That seems to me to be as big a blunder as moving the dpad and button cluster to a slide-out keyboard.

But, the availability date didn't seem to be terribly unreasonable (the WiMAX version is supposed to be out sometime next year, right?). Nor does a price jump if you add a cell radio and/or WiMAX. (I wont like paying $750 for the next gen tablet, but I probably would actually pay it; this device is essentially replacing a laptop for me, so $750 is still a great deal ... though, I think that'd be a mistake on Nokia's part ... you need to compete with the iPhone and iPod-Touch, even if they have less of the functionality I'm looking for than the Nokia Internet Tablets do.)