View Single Post
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
Hey, my current role in the as Pre-Integrator in the Maemo Application Framework team puts me in a position to see both sides of the coin.
I have integrated and worked with the open and closed aspects of the system for a while now and have a high level of understanding of the complexities.

There is a crossroads coming in my current role since obviously the official teams are scaling down.

One of the principle things I have said over the time I have been here is that I do not mind closed source code as long as it is actively maintained.

I am passionate about Maemo and would be happy to discuss adding this feather to my cap and trying to open up as much of the stack as possible to allow the community to continue to maintain and build on our Maemo.

I do however understand that certain pieces of code will never be open, so on that basis would hope to continue to push the internal teams to offering important security fixes as they arise.

I do not want to just open the code and let it rot though.

It would be even better if the community improvements and advancements could be integrated into further "service packs" so that we gain the best of the best.
The community SSU created for the n810 shows that this can in practice work.

It has been shown already that variations and branches of the already open code is worthwhile and people in the community are happy to fix bugs and submit patches and there is activity in the Hildon components as well as many other areas - even as far as custom kernels.

Where do I apply?
I support Gary on this one 110%

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post: