View Single Post
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
(...)
In the meantime both the core Mer guys and Nokia people like Tero or myself get convinced that the best technical and tactical way to address openness in the tablets and the N900 is to follow the MeeGo development mainline, adapting it to this hardware. Nokia is opening a lot of functionality for MeeGo Handset and the MeeGo project has chosen the N900 as official ARM platform. The current is favourable in that direction and Nokia is putting serious resources in that direction with the MeeGo N900 port.(...)
See, this is the place where the community (and the thread itself) goes its way and you go your own.

We are not addressing openness here, this is not the issue we have raised. Besides, what else do you want to open in the N900 profile for MeeGo? 3D graphics or battery charging, because that's the only two things left from what I understand. The rest will be opened, many people are working on this. That's fine and I'm happy about that.

We just want specific Maemo 5 and Maemo 4 components opened. I don't want to hear about MeeGo in this thread again. It's a smoke screen and I know this because nobody is going to convince me that hadn't MeeGo emerged and Maemo 6 been released instead that things would have been *any* different. As someone at IRC put it, it's "ADD marketing", but I like my way of calling it a "burned bridges strategy", also known as "oohh shiny!".
Please don't try to tell me that MeeGo's supreme openness prevents Maemo components from being opened, because that's how it sounds.

Carsten has been relegated to the N900 hardware adaptation team. I want MeeGo to be a great, fully functional platform for the N900. I'm far from blaiming him for anything here. I blame whoever decided it would be a good idea to not have a person that was doing what Carsten was doing previously any longer. That person is sorely missing.

MeeGo is nowhere near Maemo 5's functionality at this moment in time and surely for many months to come. And I'm not talking about the mythical MeeGo-Harmattan project, I'll believe it when I see it, what I saw was reference handset UX, which is one big placeholder.

Let's say I don't want to experiment with MeeGo, I just want a more open Maemo.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post: