View Single Post
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by mlindholm View Post
Yes, I do. I have an HTC S620 (aka: T-Mobile Dash), which is the device _I_ was on the fence about getting, as I already had my N800 and love it. Technically, it is possible to tether the N800 to the Dash, but I haven't made it pretty yet. Essentially...

1) Do once; create "dummy" AP to connect to
2) Start "Internet connection sharing" on the Dash
3) run "pand -c xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" to connect to the PAN AP
4) either "udhcpc -i bnep0" or statically assign an IP to the bnep0 NIC, and set a default GW
5) ensure valid DNS in some fashion
6) Enjoy!

There are apparently ways to get this process into the GUI, but I haven't done them yet. It definitely would be nice if you could just use DUN like normal phones.
Hm. My N800 doesn't have udhcpc on it ... do you know where I'd find it? Or, do you know what network range/mask/etc. is appropriate to assign statically? And what the default GW is?

and, for the pand command, what are the x's supposed to be? literals? your WLAN mac address (from the label inside the back panel of the N800)? Something you get from the Dash? Something else?

(I'm choosing between a Dash, a Pearl, or a Nokia 6086 .... the 6086 is a lot cheaper, but I don't want to aim too low and wish I had gotten more later; but, from the things said about the Dash and Pearl on these boards, it almost sounds like the 6086 is going to be the least painful one, as well)