View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mastac View Post
if you want the n900 to be wifi only, take the sim card out
You've entirely missed all the details I've enumerated to you about wasted dimensions, screen size and power usage. Begone with ye!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Technically WiFi can never be as ubiquitous as GSM/CDMA due to many reasons (mainly stems from technical limitation). So there'll be quite a lot of areas where the device is not connected to the hive mind (mainly when you're moving about: cars, buses, metros, etc).

Considering how much apps and services that work so much better when you're connected, I'd much prefer if we address the concerns and shortcomings of the more ubiquitous connectivity option... (cost, privacy, connectivity option, etc)

While you're right that WiFi isn't as ubiquitous, it is becoming MORE ubiquitous and therefore far more of a utility to tablet owners than it had been previous to this year especially. You're finding it even on trains and busses in many cities. It helps that the trend has been to push more and more of these small devices (iPad, iPod Touch, tablets, etc.) because they help to build the momentum by which much cheaper and much more smaller devices, untethered to telco carriers, can be supported on the Internet.

While I'm sure you're referring to the likes of Pandora or Google Maps as the always-on services you enjoy while in transit, wireless connectivity from the TelCo's isn't perfect and a fully downloaded map with occasional updates would still serve one better than a live mapping direction service that can lose its connectivity at any moment. Wifi would still provide these updates (far faster and cheaper, too). Pandora, on the other hand, is an excellent argument if you don't have any music of your own or simply prefer it over FM or AM radio. (My 1974 Beetle only has AM radio, sorry).

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
As far as security is concerned, isn't there more risk on public wifi where other users can scan, intercept, setup honeypots, etc?

At least the operators are clear legal entities that can be easily identified and acted upon if there are issues.
GSM (voice and data) is very easily susceptible to evesdropping and, worse, man-in-the-middle exploits. Practically, it's just as bad as open wifi except that people think they can trust it and there's been no noticeable attempt to plug up the exploits. So much for trusting clear legal entities on wireless. CDMA/EVDO still hasn't been hacked yet... So far, so good there... For now.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: