View Single Post
Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Is there any other way to put a Nokia N800 in R&D mode besides having to reflash the firmware?

Before seeing the forums, I tried su, got the error about restricted privileges. I tried "sudo su -" and "su gainroot" to get the message about R&D mode. Since I've already spent a fair amount of time building out my N800 to have what packages and apps I already want/need, I don't want to reflash if I don't need to.

Out of curiousity (and hoping that Nokia didn't lock down ssh root@localhost):
Code:
~$ whoami
user
~$ ssh root@localhost
password: rootme
Nokia-N800-26:~$ whoami
root
From what I can tell, it's full root access from within the secure shell. I should be able to install packages and make changes as if I were root in R&D mode, shouldn't I?

So long as I download the packages from the repository to my user home or temp directories and install from there while ssh'ed as root, is it indistinguishable from using the Application Manager in R&D mode?

Thanks in advance for your time and help. I've been lurking on InternetTabletTalk for a few days. I've had my N800 for little over a week. I truly love my N800... and having InternetTabletTalk & Maemo:Garage as resources!