Thread: clock
View Single Post
Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
The IT is definitely a consumer device if you use it for what it is, browsing the internet, reading your mail, etc.

If you want more.... If you want to race with your commuter car, you need to know how to tune it, otherwise you'll never win...
I understand what you're getting at, but I'm just trying to point out the conflicting message that is prevalent on this board:

- "I need to open Word documents" -- "Well you can't, it's a CONSUMER DEVICE!"

- "But my Palm could do it" -- "Well, you can install AbiWord, but it only kind of works. Here's the repository." -- "What's a repository?"

- "I think it would be great if there was a big clock application" -- "Well, simply install scratchbox, the rootstrap & toolchain, gcc, put your device into red pill mode, and get writing code!"

All I'm trying to say is: either it's a consumer device, or you have to break out the compiler or dive into dependency hell if you want a piece of functionality on par with an $10 alarm clock. You can't have it both ways.

Obviously, it's a chicken and egg problem -- people can't just "install" a big clock app if there isn't one to install.

But the people on both sides of this argument both want the same thing: For the N800 to be the best possible device it can be, and to sell well enough that it's viable for Nokia to continue developing it.

You hardcore Linux guys must understand that you might as well be speaking Martian when you start talking about repositories and firmware and xterms to Joe Sixpack who just bought a cool looking internet device at CompUSA.

If I'm out at the store comparing handheld devices, and one has a full screen clock I can just download and install, and the other product has people telling me to install Python and get cracking -- well, which do you think sounds more appealing to the average CONSUMER?

Assuming you want people to support the N800, throw out a bone every once in a while rather than being so snarky about everything. I literally can't believe you posted that clock graphic. How rude is that?

Anyway, I'm hijacking the OP's thread here, so I'll stop. But seriously guys. If you want to see more N800 users, stop treating everyone who can't compile their own kernel like lepers.