View Single Post
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
a) Locking a platform people hack afterward isn't really locking
But should they have to? I would argue that they should not and vendors should strive to give people the options, like Nokia and Google (at least with the Nexus One, which is basically flipping a switch.)

b) None of those are X86. It's easy to lock down a proprietary hardware with a proprietary OS. It's virtually impossible to do so with X86 lest you risk platform incompatibility. I very much doubt Intel cares who wins the OS wars, as long as they supply the ammo.
Intel, or other SoC vendors if they start integrating Atom, will happily provide security modules like ARM does and list it as a bullet point on their spec sheets. There is nothing about x86 that makes it immune to lockdown and as you said, Intel does not care who wins the OS wars so long as it runs on their chip.

Fundamental shmundamental. It is compatible with Windows binaries. It is compatible with Windows UI. Save for the logo on the back, it's open Windows. It walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck. It has the Windows Application base, and compiles and runs Windows IDEs. If I don't like Nokia's messaging app, I either switch or develop my own.
I think you miss the point, namely pointing out that no matter what you do, MS can throw tacks in your path at which point you fix the flat or you diverge from the MS path.

Also, it matters not if it's open Windows or Microsoft Windows. You should expand your understanding to platforms and ways of doing things outside the normal purview.
With respect to keeping Windows, as a platform, in my sights I will stick with the core as run by MS as they are the sole leading force. Not to say that what ReactOS is doing is wrong or bad, it is an admirable effort; it is not where Windows is going but where it has been.