View Single Post
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The first time you asked was in the Maemo Summit and the clear answer was that there is no software licensed with GPLv3 in Harmattan.
Oh, i assumed that was just the state at that time and not by purpose. Elena on the other hand just had no idea what to answer and about the implications of the GPLv3.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
In MeeGo the use of GNU (L)GPL version 2.x is encouraged.
That page does not mention that the intended limitation has anything to do with DRM etc. Also "encouraged" seems rather odd if the introduction of GPLv3 code will lock the resulting device out of any shop system (be it app stores or content stores) and will cut the user off some off his personal data stored on the device.

Android is an example of this. Any home-compiled/unofficial android version does not have access to the app stores and thus bascially nobody is using such versions except for demo purposes.

How will access of MeeGo devices to things like app stores be controlled? Sure "open" devices will not have access to any store (as they could otherwise just re-distribute any downloaded app).
How tight will the limits be for a MeeGo device? Who verifies that a MeeGo device can be trusted and is allowed access to the store infrastructure? What happened if i wanted to build a device myself? Or if i port MeeGo to some so-far unsupported plattform? Will the resulting "open" device be locked out of any app store? And do you still expect there to be a marked for "open" devices if they won't have shop access?

My concern is that the "open" path will just die. How many of the current n900 users would "close" their device if this would give them access to apps/drm stuff? And would the resulting two user groups still be big enough to survive independently?

Last edited by Master of Gizmo; 2010-04-06 at 12:57.