View Single Post
Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Oh come on... nothing else??? The N800 is full of noteworthy aspects for many users. And simply being a Skype user, or favoring the N800 for now having Skype, does not ipso facto make a user a "lemming". That's a gross exaggeration.
I'm not arguing the conclusion nor did I say anything about the N800 not being noteworthy. Just arguing against that rationale being used to come to that conclusion that Skype is better than anything else. The "100 million reasons" argument is a logical fallacy. Just because 100 million people do something does not automatically make it a good thing to do. It is right up there with peer-pressure and mob mentality. Someone favouring something for the sole reason that everyone else is doing it is most certainly lemming mentality.

When you look at the feature-set of Skype, there is nothing noteworthy that sets it above other VoIP offerings. I have used / currently use many different VoIP systems including XMPP based using open codec (Gtalk), SIP-based using open codec (Gizmo, Ekiga, Wengophone), SIP-based using open codecs but walled garden (Vonage), proprietary protocol/codec mesh system (Skype) and mixed proprietary protocol/open codecs (Teamspeak). I can honestly say there is nothing compelling about Skype when compared to these others. It is pretty much middle of the road.

There are a number of things that make it less favourable in some respects including its "Walled Garden" community and its proprietary protocol/codec usage. People who ignore these things do not know the history of the traditional phone system and the mess it was at the beginning. Interoperability and choice of provider are good things.