View Single Post
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Danmark
I want to buy an n900 but I'm not sure I should. I hear a lot about the Maemo6/MeeGo and a new device based on scheduled for Q2 this year.
I have to pay 600euros and get stuck with a contract for at least 6 months if not more (depending on what offers I get).
My question now it is, should I buy it or not?
I'm not buying it because I'm a linux developer, honestly I don't know too much about linux but I intend learning a lot more in the near future (although I have some programing knowledge this isn't in my line of studies). I'm a student so 600euros is a lot for me, but I need to change my carrier and I might as well buy a phone with it, and since I get to pay it in monthly rates I might as well treat my self for my achievements and buy a phone that suits me.
I don't want an Iphone, apples policy to openness is... I also hate google for their idea of putting a cookie on everything, etc.
The only brand I like is Nokia.

Right now what n900 offeres is pretty good for me, I mean it offeres everything I might need at this point, BUT it would be pretty stupid for me to buy the n900 now and in 1-2-3 months a new one phone comes out.
I can't afford to buy a new phone too soon.

So what do you say, should I wait or should I buy it now?

My main concerns are: form what I've read Maemo 6 uses Qt, which is different from the current situation, and probably most of the developer will prefer developing in Qt programs compatibles with Maemo 6, and MeeGo and future symbian and will neglect Maemo 5.
Also from what I've read there should be a next update for Maemo 5 which should include Qt. Does this mean that the programs from the other releases will be compatible with Maemo 5? (of course excluding cases when it will be limited by the HW).

So what do you say? And please if you're actually going to be mean, don't answer.