View Single Post
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to install iptables firewall on N900?

As far as I am aware, the default kernel is not compatible with iptables, or is it?
If it's not, how do I install both the compatible kernel and the iptables itself?
correct, iptables is a kernel module in linux but i not in the fremntle kernel.

you would need to compile your own kernel and put it in an image and flash the device with it I believe. Not ure if you cn recompile kernel on device, but I doubt it
I've found some posts which are related to my question but since I am new to Linux I still couldn't understand how to install them
If you are new to linux, maybe try recopiling a kernel on a desktop distro first before trying it on such a customized embedded kind of device. I am no stranger to linux or even custom kernels, but recompiling a kernel for such a specific device is more thn I want to bite off for sure.

Also, if the default kernel of N900 is not compatible with iptables and if I do a firmware up'grade on my N900, will the compatible kernel got replaced so that I will have to reinstall it again?
yes, most likely. the firmware updates just rewrite that entire part of the filesystem i believe

Thank you in advance.

P.S.: If there's something wrong with what I said, please correct me since I'm not sure if I understood those things properly. All I want is a firewall
well, the device is not really running ny service so a firewall isn't really necessary, IMO

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post: