View Single Post
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by ceefour View Post
Now that I have an N900, and looking to port my Qt Mobility apps to it... I realize how wrong my replies were. I'm sorry to have confused you. My previous replies were my experiences on building Qt Mobility on Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 on a desktop... not on scratchbox for Maemo. I didn't even know what scratchbox was or what is Fremantle. ;-) (later on I successfully ported the Qt apps to S60, so I have a bit of experience there too)

(I figured at this point you've figured the solution yourself anyway, right?) :-)
Ive stopped my work on pushing qtmobility libraries to extras, just because there are gurus from Trollltech(Nokia) already working towards this. Im hoping to see QT mobility being released with QT4.6 with PR1.2 , lets wait and see, no official news yet.

I'll be starting to develop Maemo apps in the coming weeks so I shall put you on my radar when things go wrong hehehe =)) I've just started to install scratchbox and stuff on my Ubuntu machine. I'm very new to all this.
no issues, glad to be of help anytime

Congratulations on the battery level widget. I haven't tried it but I truly appreciate your excellent work.
The new QT based battery level widget is here (linked in my signature also), Ive updated it to use the hal daemon instead so users can set a polling interval that saves a lot of battery juice.
Also because qt mobility is still beta and they keep changing code.

I'm pretty worried about developing on a N900 though, as I've used it as my main phone too. Is it "safe" w.r.t. the chances of bricking it?
I wont give you any advice on this , its upto each one of us to take the step or not.
But what I can say is there is a nice wiki to reflash if something goes terribly wrong.
I havent had issues myself, I use extras-devel quite a bit (cautiously).

I'm looking to PyQt as an alternative to hardcore Qt C++ with seemingly endless build problems... What do you think?
If you dont have much experience with C++, I would suggest start with PyQT, its certainly easier to get started.
But C++ apps will def. be faster in execution, and Im not 100% sure if we have all QT bindings for python and any limitations. Check their PyQT website or dig into the pyQT mailing lists.

good luck !
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Last edited by krk969; 2010-03-17 at 11:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post: