View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by gammer View Post
In my case, the IP address and all other parameters ARE valid/correct. For the X server as provided by winaxep on windows xp everything works as expected. For the X server as provided by my linux box it does not (if the client is my n800, but it works if the client is another linux box)! I did all experiments in a fixed environment to avoid trivial errors. So what is the relevant difference between both X servers???
Really strange. I'm not an expert when it comes to X and I don't have Windows to try your setup, but what you could do is:

Do not log into the N800 via telnet/ssh/whatever from the windows machine but run the "DISPLAY=192.168...." stuff locally in the N800s xterm. From a pure X point of view, this should be the most straightforward way of using a different display. It also corresponds to the setup I tried.

The thing when you log in to your N800 remotely is that the remote connection may provide a fake 2nd 'local' display to the N800. "Fake local" means that it looks like a 2nd local display to the N800 but is secretly forwarded to the PC your connection originates via ssh. In this case we're making things more complex which doesn't help finding the cause of the problem.

I have reason to believe that the N800 actually ignores whatever IP-address is set in the DISPLAY-variable and only honors the part after the ":". It would be interesting to check this. (It can also be that theres a difference between my 770 and your N800 in this respect after all...)