View Single Post
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Hey, I'm all for moving forward with developing a version of MeeGo for the n8xx line and just dumping Mer. Not that Mer isn't a good project, but I think MeeGo will be light years ahead of it, and by the time that Mer catches up to Diablo, MeeGo will be so far ahead that it won't be worth having.
Late response. A few people have made this case. I see some practical problems with it:
1. The community has code for Fremantle now. How many months will elapse before we get code for MeeGo?
2. When we get MeeGo, will it be trivially easy to backport it, or will it take months of work? For example, in the Mer^2 snapshot 40 thread, we can see that Stskeeps is calling for a rework of the desktop b/c the N8xx can't handle the accelerated graphics. Would you expect that this would not be an issue with MeeGo?
3. If Diablo or Mer ever gets Qt 4.6, then it will presumably be able to use some of the MeeGo apps. Might be a lot easier to do this than backport all of MeeGo & might gain a lot.