View Single Post
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by j.s View Post
That situation can be remedied amazingly quickly by GPS users in that region. The only reason any particular area has good coverage in Open Streetmaps is that people mapped some roads and uploaded them.

Of course, this will not happen in your area overnight. But it will never happen until someone starts.
I wasn't referring to Openstreetmap, but to the live traffic update layer on Google maps, which is only displayed by Google and Microsoft for the major roads. It is not possible to display this on Wayfinder, and they killed their live traffic service at the start of last year.

Openstreetmap has fairly decent coverage in this area, and I am already mapping the residential area where I live using OSM2GO for upload to OSM.

Aside from that I installed Navit from the maemo.org downlaods page this afternoon, and used the instructions on the Navit 770/800/810 page to copy and configure the XML files, and downloaded the OSM maps for it. Got it going really quickly and painlessly

got to say that I am fairly impressed with it. The app has some rough edges, especially around the menus, and POI searching is not easy, but it is very useable. Only other gripe is that I have not managed to make it use miles instead of kilometres as the distance unit, and my fervent googling seems to indicate that Navit only supports Kms at this time, although I hope someone will prove me wrong.