View Single Post
Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
Oh, hey, my pleasure. I was seriously thinking of making a donation, that's how pleased I was (you'll have to wait until I get my job back, though ;^).
Don't feel bad, I haven't received a single donation yet

But honestly, I am very impressed and I can't believe your app doesn't get a lot more buzz.
Well it's still in -devel and not ready for primetime. And to be honest, I doubt it will ever leave -devel. Not too happy with it, but changing some design flaws is just too much work for now. And the client is basically a port from the older version and could use some rewriting.

So a few Q's, does Knots support still image playback? Because then I could link it to my cache of digital photos, and we could do the whole "photo album" thing anytime we wanted to - the wife would seriously love that.
I've thought about this, but haven't really felt the need to add it. Maybe in the future.

And could Knots function as a standalone media player? I have to say, all the media players for the N900 I've tried (I think all of them) are flawed in some way or another. There's NOTHING I like better than a lightweight, small-footprint media player (I'm a longtime fan of both VLC and Media Player Classic for the PC) and if Knots could function as a do-all media app for the N900, that would be fabulous.
There are so many media players for Maemo so I haven't felt like reinventing the wheel. Besides, it's hard to compete with Canola and MediaBox. So I'm trying to focus on streaming alone.

And what about streaming internet radio? I didn't see any mention of that, but I know VLC can handle it. Any good media player should be able to do that as well, IMO.
Well you can add custom http urls under Edit Media. If VLC can play them, they should work. Other media players can handle them directly though.

But in all honesty, you should be shouting this whole "720p on the N900's screen" from the rooftops. You'll get a lot of happy customers if that is not just a fluke. 720/1080p BR rips are hugely popular, you can hardly even find a non-HD rip anymore.
I wrote Knots for n8x0 that didn't have power to show full quality video. I never thought Knots would be popular on N900, but I guess videos are always one step ahead of mobile devices. Uses cases have changed a little though. People seem to use Knots mostly for 3G streaming and even playing hd videos on telly from a desktop if they can't attach the computer

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post: