Thread: Apple iPad
View Single Post
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Stupid question - what do you do AFTER you connect? As for me it seems that connection to server is needed to TYPE something and type more... more... and more. The real KBD can't be replaced and the significance of netbook with full KBD is a gem here.
I use three fingers to swipe up and it goes to fullscreen. Then I move hte mouse to where I want it. If I need to type, I triple-finger-swipe up again and the keyboard just pops out. I then type in what I need and then triple-finger-swipe down and the keyboard goes away. Once you get used to it it's FAST.

Originally Posted by Thor View Post
For me it seems you trade off the convenience of work with server to convenience of connection to server.
Ummm....no. I can check services and logs on servers just fine this way.

I guess... you are in sales/marketing, right? (Nothing personal, it is just a way how our marketing uses the remote connection - connect and show that... may be show some scripts but no real work).
Ummm...not just no, but fcuk no. I work for a living.

BTW, even Windows 7 has a mode "suspend to RAM" which resumes in 1-3 secs. At least my old Vista can do it, and I assume W7 can do it too.
Right. Any Windows 7 netbook can do it as well however you sacrifice battery life with that, and it cuts the battery down fast. That was the first thing I set mine up for, but after leaving it like that at the end of the day the battery was completely drained. On my netbook I just close the lid and after a minute or two it's finished "hibernating" and powers off. Come back days later and I can "resume" it to where I left off however it takes another minute or two to get there.
Again, I suggest some of you who doubt the iPhone's - and future iPad's - remote terminal/viewer capabilities need to actually do a hands-on with it first to get a real feeling for if it fits for you.