Thread: Apple iPad
View Single Post
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by iball View Post
Speed. Raw speed. For power users of remote access apps, WIndows Mobile doesn't cut it. Maemo devices don't cut it. Symbian, too many button clicks.
Click, swipe, tap, tap and I'm logging into my server/desktop/home Mac.
People keep posting about "why not get a netbook?"
I've got one. A Lenovo S10E w/2GB of RAM. Since we're an authorized IBM/Lenovo reseller, I got mine pretty cheap too. Even got a spare drive with Snow Leopard installed on it.
But to remote into something I have to pull it out of the bag, open it up, hit the power button, wait for Windows 7 Enterprise to "resume", then click the RDP/VNC/SSH icon I have pinned to the task tray, then wait for it to open, then type in the server name, then wait, then login to the remote server.
Stupid question - what do you do AFTER you connect? As for me it seems that connection to server is needed to TYPE something and type more... more... and more. The real KBD can't be replaced and the significance of netbook with full KBD is a gem here.

For me it seems you trade off the convenience of work with server to convenience of connection to server. I guess... you are in sales/marketing, right? (Nothing personal, it is just a way how our marketing uses the remote connection - connect and show that... may be show some scripts but no real work).

BTW, even Windows 7 has a mode "suspend to RAM" which resumes in 1-3 secs. At least my old Vista can do it, and I assume W7 can do it too.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post: