View Single Post
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I think you'e misreading me, CrashandDie. I was repeating some of the reasons people said that the ML should be closed. I do not believe it should be.

1) There have been complaints that people don't know what's going on in one place or the other. Why else would there be a suggestion to close one or the other? I do believe that many t.m.o. people don't know there's a community mailing list: they arrive at the board from a search engine and stay. I also believe that ML people do know about t.m.o. are making an active choice not to check here - for exactly the reasons you outlined, rather than acting from ignorance. Neither group is 'getting a free pass'. It's you who are putting a value judgement on one rather than the other. Personally, I'm rather ashamed of my ignorance.

2) If you'd like to read what I said, I specifically said that I was avoiding the concept of clique because I don't believe it. But it's been hinted at. All I did was put it in the open, so I could kick it into touch. The two media are simply different methods of communicating as far as I'm concerned.

As for decisions being made in oly one medium, you haven't read the thread? Because that's exactly what was described - I believe the example given was the changes to board layout and colour scheme. (It was all before my time, so I'm only going on what was said here).

The idea of weekly news is fine but it's not the solution that was under discussion: that was the one already declared as an agreed goal in the wiki of closing the ML. Personally, I think that would be a big mistake.