Thread: Thinlinx
View Single Post
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2005 @ San Francisco, CA
My apologies. I certainly didn't mean to say your software is vaporware, as it obviously is quite real. I was referring to the "Hot-e Handheld" hardware device.

I've just seen so many companies show 3D renderings of future devices and then never deliver, that I guess I'm a bit pessimistic. From the Thinlinx site, if you click the link "Products -> Hot-e Handheld", it doesn't go anywhere. If you click the link "Web Store -> Hot-e Handheld", it goes to the "Hot-e" device instead. There's not much info there on the handheld other than the 3D rendered picture. The "Hot-e" screenless device seems to have pretty detailed specs though, so I expect that might be coming soon.

I think remote X sessions make a lot of sense for all sorts of vertical applications like warehouses and retail stores. It would also be very exciting for normal users who would like to have "one desktop" with centrally located data that they could access from their desktop, or a mobile terminal that they carry with them. We'll need WiMax to get there though, or more free wifi. Hopefully there are ways to compress the X connection also, as my experience with remote X sessions has always been that they are very bandwidth intensive.
http://www.markandjo.com/markblog