View Single Post
That is true, that is a lot of space for a phone. The reason I didn't mention it is that I never stored much music on my other phone as well. I tend to listen to internet radio, which works quite well on the N900, on the blackberry I was using FlyCast which chewed through the battery like crazy. I'm not sure how the N900 does with this, but I am glad it is built-in to the media player.

Some other stuff:

e-mail: this is where the blackberry is truly king. I like the blackberry's email a lot more than the N900, but it does push email. The interface and keyboard make it very nice to send emails etc.

Multi-tasking: The blackberry can do this as well, though not as well imho.

Storage: My Bold had a very limited amount of space for apps (128mb to share with the OS I believe). and 1GB flash memory for pics etc. With the blackberry there is no way currently to install apps onto a memory card or even the 1gb internal memory. While the N900 from what I read is limited, it is possible to use other memory for apps manually right now (this is the optification If I understand correctly?). Both phones can handle memory cards

Apps:
On the blackberry I used the following apps a lot:

FlyCast for internet streaming - Built-in on N900

Viigo for RSS Feeds - Also Built-in on N900 though does not have a list of common feeds

Beejive - Instant Messaging app - Also built in on N900 and expandable to more protocols easily

Google Maps - This is most likely a big one for most people, it really is a great tool, I can get my bus times here in Ottawa using it. Ovi Maps so far seems a bit more sluggish. I know you can go to maps.google.com but it is not the same as a dedicated app for it.

Obviously the built in email+sms etc is great on the blackberry (some bugs with the new OS 5, but there are work arounds).

I actually had one of the openmoko phones for a while, but found it very slow and hard to use. I use linux on a daily basis, but It was very far behind, with no real road-map of an improved device.

I wish there was a better notification system on the N900 for missed calls, emails, voice mail etc. I know this has been talked about a lot.

Again, the N900 in my opinion is a great phone and offers a pretty good experience out of the box and with a few app installs it is a lot better.

I was actually in the US last week for new years and my girlfriends phone has UMA (calls over wifi basically). Unfortunately Rogers blocks non-canadian ISPs for UMA... Now that I have the N900, there is nothing Rogers can do to stop me (not technically uma, but sip/skype)!

Thanks for moving my post, and sorry for not posting in the existing thread.