View Single Post
Six months later, I was wondering the same thing, and spent half a day getting it to work. (Answer: It does work.) I'm running OS2008 version 5.2008.43-7 (the latest as of this writing) on an N800. Here's a sketch of what I did:

1) I followed the steps at http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...PyQt_for_Maemo to enable the maemo extras-devel repo, and installed Qt and PyQt. Actually, I think I was unable to find some of the packages in the application manager. Instead, I had to install the packages from the command line. (Start xterm, then root, then apt-get install <package name>. This assumes you have the "rootsh" package installed.)

2) I had very little else installed on my N800. By the time I was done installing Qt and PyQt, I did not have a lot of room to spare on my root filesystem. I saw advice in other threads that I needed to clone my root filesystem to SD media. I did not to this, and I am doing fine. (I still have 43MB remaining space.)

3) Another package I had to install from the command line: python2.5-runtime. I don't understand why these don't show up in application manager.

4) I downloaded the TreeLine 1.2.4 (current stable version) source code from http://treeline.bellz.org/download.html.

5) Again from the command line, cd to the directory where this was downloaded, and tar xzf the file. I wasted quite a bit of time finding the file. (The "Documents" folder in your file manager is actually the "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents" folder in the filesystem.)

6) This was the diciest part. From the command line, I "root"ed, then ran "python install.py", only to discover that the standard Python compileall module was not available. So I went to my trusty Ubuntu desktop computer that has python 2.5 installed, and snagged a copy of compileall.py and pycompile.py from /usr/lib/python2.5. (They end up in the same place on the N800.) To my surprise, this solved all of the installation problems! I ran "python install.py" again, and it installed successfully!

I admit I'm a little worried that these standard Python modules were not present. It makes me wonder if I have mis-configured something, since Python is generally a "batteries included" setup. However, the fact that I got TreeLine to run successfully gives me some confidence that I haven't gone too terribly wrong.

7) Manually invoke /usr/local/bin/treeline to confirm that the application runs. It runs fine, and really looks very good. I had no trouble creating new outline nodes and editing their text using hildon input.

8) Next I hacked together an entry in my application menu. The menu file is found at ~/.osso/menus/application.menu. In the xml file, I added an entry that referred to treeline.desktop file. Of course, there is no such file yet, so...

9) Then I copied /usr/share/applications/hildon/filemanager.desktop to /usr/share/applications/treeline.desktop. (As root.) I edited treeline.desktop to invoke /usr/local/bin/treeline. I edited the description fields, etc. to refer to treeline. I don't have an icon for treeline, so I just let it use the filemanager icon. I deleted the line starting "X-Osso-Service". (If I didn't delete this line, the launcher still launched file manager.)

Well, that was some pretty bad hacking. This probably isn't the correct/polished way to do things, but anyway, now I have a "TreeLine" entry in my application menu, and it launches TreeLine just fine, and TreeLine works great!

I doubt that the original poster of this thread is still around, but maybe the next person to hit this message via Internet search (like I did this morning) will benefit.

If anyone cares to point out the "correct" way to do any of the above, feel free. I would especially like to address the availability of the standard python modules.

The Following User Says Thank You to timcrews2 For This Useful Post: