View Single Post
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Hello,

i've been experimenting with 'heavy' games and emulators - things that need all the speed they can get to run acceptably. Dosbox, psx4all.

The pulseaudio utils provide a program called "pasuspender" which should bypass pulse and give the called application access to the RX51 alsa pcm device, but I never got sound with it.

By killing and removing /usr/bin/pulseaudio, and specifying proper device (alsa.conf, .asoundrc or command-line), programs (aplay, mplayer) can output to RX51 alsa device (any frequency), causing almost no cpu load --- However the sound is burbly and messy from any SDL app that outputs to alsa.

If anyone else wants to experiment with this stuff, here's a test case with instructions (README.MAEMO5). It appears that the maemo5 libsdl / libsdlmixer has some problem with the alsa backend, and i'm stuck now.

This thread is for development discussion and experimentation on the issue. Please keep discussion on-topic, download the attachment, and help me out.

EDIT3: To whomever updated pulseaudio-utils today...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Code:
pasuspender -- mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0  MyDocs/48k.wav

Last edited by ArnimS; 2009-12-20 at 21:55. Reason: never good enough the first time

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post: