View Single Post
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by bradb
daf-

Until I can get a bigger card I'm going to use 24MB of swap (thanks for the workaround on 32MB, I'll be interested in your results).

I'm pretty sure I know the commands to use I'm just not sure where to put them in the startup.... I've tried /etc/rc2.d/S20bradshack (as well as S99bradshack) but I'm not sure what's correct. That's why the script is named 'hack'.
Hey Brad,

There should be an rc.local... (I'm charging now, so I can't check..) This is run after the "other" scripts for that runlevel.

now here's now it's supposed to work:

It's call Sys V init for the unix loins from which it sprang. There are several "runlevels." The default "runlevel" is in /etc/inittab as are the scripts/directories to run when the machine comes up in that "runlevel"

example runlevels:

1 - single user command prompt only - great for fixing things when graphics get broken.
2 - single user with X
5 - full multiuser with X
6 - shut your *** down (when a linux box is "shutdown" with the "shutdown" command, another command called telinit is issued, specifically "telinit 6" this tells the kernel to switch to runlevel 6 - shutdown...

init.d (directory) has the actual scripts

rc(x).d have links (shortcuts) to the script in init.d
the number allows some startups to run before others... your inclination to use 99 is right.

so different rc(x).d folders can start different "services" based-on the needs of the "runlevel." They are processed numerically by their links (shortcuts.)

Sorry if you already knew this. All these folders (and most other interesting things) are in the /etc directory.

Paul