View Single Post
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Not sure where you guys are at with your development but I was planning on rolling these features in as updates/upgrades to Flipclock. There's an existing code structure and them-ing system in place there that would allow this type of functionality very easily, but I don't want to go treading on your toes!

So here's my question to both you guys as devels, and to the Maemo community in general... are these two apps separate enough and serving separate enough purposes to be left alone, or should we be pooling our efforts so that users only need to worry about "one really good general purpose" time application rather than "a clock for alarms, a clock for count downs, a clock of X", etc? Whatever makes the most sense I'll get on board with, but it does seem a bit silly to have us developing two different apps that are visually similiar and using two different code bases to do similiar time-related functionality.

Flip is more than mature enough to handle this functionality with a few extra UI controls, but if the consensus is that having a separate, simple timer app makes more sense then I'll leave Flip as a clock/alarm clock and recommend your app to anyone looking for a timer. (I could also use a good designer to give me a hand with additional themes/UI appearance of Flip if anyone out there is interested ;-) ).

I love open source, but the biggest problem with most distros is that there are too many overlapping applications without any justification, and for Maemo this seems like something that we should at least do our best to minimize so that developers can focus on new and unexplored user needs... my thoughts anyways :-)

Thanks!

Last edited by jolouis; 2009-11-29 at 20:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post: