View Single Post
I tried building Android 2.0 (Eclair) last night and getting it working using the amazing work of solca et. al as a base.

I've got it booting and the UI functional - no WiFi or battery yet (just some loader issues) and clock seems to work when it feels like it (this one's weirder - the clocksetter sets the clock properly but Android seems to be ignoring it sometimes) - the bootscripts need some work as well as some vars aren't set and the system doesn't boot completely without a few kicks from an adb shell.

With some patches to the Eclair source (to avoid using PMEM for the framebuffer, and to avoid using pageflipping as the LCD hardware gets crashy with it in for some reason) solca's existing compiled kernel works fine with the 2.0 code. I might try to make PMEM and a new kernel work later on, as it'd probably help with graphics speed, but I don't have a working OMAP kernel tree/build system right now.

Seems a little faster than 1.5, even though it currently has a very dumb framebuffer setup and vold won't start (so some media servers spin looking for it and slow things down). Fairly "stable" so far too - once it's booted it seems to stay up without freezes or random watchdog/memory error reboots.

Once I've got WiFi, battery, and clock working (should be fairly straightforward from here) I'll post a patch and rootfs and people can get hacking - currently it's not a Google device config so it doesn't have the Google apps (like the coveted Maps+Navigation etc.).

The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to bri3d For This Useful Post: