View Single Post
Originally Posted by insert_nick View Post
Do you think these suggestions can be arranged in some way to have the perfect backup/restore system for 770?
I think that's a good description of what we're actually seeking
Really, I think 770 is useless unless you prepare it to boot from mmc. Why? Just because 770 is GREAT as a mini-laptop (it's not a good PDA, imho).

But to be a good mini-laptop you must be able to install at least 500MB of applications (scientific, business, games, multimedia, etc). To do that, you must boot from mmc. Besides, when booting from flash, it's too slow.

So, thanks to Fanoush. First part is concluded. Now, I think that to be really useful, there must be a simple way to backup the system (and not to install everything again). I feel like we're very close to find it...

By the way, I wonder if it's possible (and simpler) to just boot from internal flash and backup the system stored in the mmc, which will be not in use so no problems should occur. Can you agree on that?
Definitely. You boot from flash, then mount mmc2 ext2 partition in any directory such as /floppy or /media/mmc2 or /opt, and then proceed to GNUtar it (it's important the GNU thing, because busybox tar is not able to preserve all links and permissions effectively, I think).

I won't have enough free disk space to mount mmc2 partition when booting from flash. In my case, network backup is needed.

It could be interesting the "Backup over network" section of that Ubuntu tutorial
Yes, I'm going to try it via SSH as proposed in the tutorial. Not tried yet. Though I've already been playing around with x11vnc and ssh between my 770 and PC.

Last edited by sebastian.linux; 2007-02-20 at 18:53.