View Single Post
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
OpenCL aims at using graphics chip to perform specific operations which take a lot of time on the CPU. Usually, this is done when trying to enhance the speed of floating point operations, etc.

ARM works quite differently than the usual x86 platform (or PPC, for that matter). I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful, I'm saying it would be less useful that the performance gain you get on proper desktops/laptops.

The DSP, as was pointed out, will give pretty good performance when used properly, and developing for the DSP directly will be a lot easier than trying to write a wrapper that would then be used by a yet-to-be-written port of OpenCL. Let's not forget this is a limited hardware platform, and the more you wrap, the more you lose.

Think of it as a hot water bottle that you put in bed during cold winter nights. You can wrap it with a big towel, so you don't burn your beloved feet, but in the end, you'll lose some potential heating power. It's up to you to see how much performance you need.

That being said, using bluetooth/wifi to provide connectivity to your sensor, and then doing CPU/DSP intensive operations is going to be a big battery drainer.

(Disclaimer: I didn't read the link) Are you really sure the idea is sound?