View Single Post
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by richie View Post
It was mentioned here,
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/10/10/m...iveblog-day-2/
----
15:43 [Comment From brainimpact]
as maemo 6 as a open and closed mode get ready for a battle with networks who will try get the switch removed in the devices they stock
----
Thank you. It is a reference to Harmattan Platform Security talk by Elena Rashetova, quoted at 15:18 - 15:21. There are a few slides photographed but they're unfortunately not viewable (too bad quality) but since all talks are recorded to be broadcasted later we can look into it later.

Originally Posted by range View Post
If I understood it correctly (I am not at the summit): You can choose if you want to put the device into a mode where it is "DRM ready" which may disallow you to do some things, like becoming root for example.
Its something like allowing the user to enable/disable DRM. In a case it is enabled, the hardware will try to make all digital holes closed (since analog hole always exists).

Or its more system wise far more advanced than disabling root access, akin to signed binaries (like a Symbian or iPhone jail) and capability-based security.

Makes sense because sometimes, a N900 is given to employees and you don't want them to install the latest spyware on it, or remove the killswitch in case its stolen, or ...

IMO signed binaries are a good thing. Why would I trust running software from some shady person? Same for capabilities. Why would a browser require access to all files in ~/.* including your mail dirs?

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-10-10 at 22:16.