View Single Post
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Adam in NYC View Post
If enabling R&D mode results in a successful boot, why keep off the watchdog monitor? It is there for a reason, no. It is there so if there is a lockup, the Nokia will reboot.

What happens if there is a segfault and the watchdog is off? This is not a regular PC and I don't see a hardware reset nor a control-alt-delete would resolve things.
I imagine you can disable R&D mode once you have successfully booted and the reboot count has been reset to zero.

If you were to disable the lifeguard reset the worst thing that can happen is the device hangs instead of rebooting - if it hangs you just pull the battery out for a second and reinsert. If it is indeed necessary to disable the lifeguard reset to resolve the reboot issue, the inconvenience of having to pull the battery surely outweighs the inconvenience you would experience from a reboot loop.

I would rather work with a safety net than have access to the N800 and then some buggy code gives it the final bork.
Pulling the battery is the ultimate three-fingered-salute, essentially the same as power cycling a PC which I've had to do from time to time in Windows when it locks solid and no longer responds to the keyboard/mouse.

on my Nokias. Let my Nokia reboot a dozen times until I get a stable screen. As for my N800, I am thinking of writing it off and taking the brick to the Nokia store if the depot does not want to repair it.
Fair enough.